At this time of year when the days are longer, temperatures usually accompany and we have more free time, it is a good time to practise outdoor sports. As well as they help us to get in shape, they facilitate our brain disconnection, help us move away from our usual routine and increase our sense of relaxation and wellbeing. The health benefits of outdoor sports are many: we breathe pure air, weare more in touch with nature and the environment that surrounds us…
Walking, swimming or practicing water exercises, skating, doing activities such as yoga, pilates or t’ai chi, playing volleyball,, playing golf, playing tennis or paddle… there are many possibilities offered by the summer to practice outdoor sports. However, as recommended by our personal trainer Luis Ganso, we must try to start with sports that can provide continuity for the rest of the year, for example, walking an hour a day or swimming a few lengths day. These are activities that we can do outdoors in summer but in winter we can move to closed places to keep in shape.
However, outdoor sport requires some basic cautions, especially during the hottest hours of the day when it can become especially dangerous. Our recommendations for practicing outdoor sports are:
- Control temperature and humidity. We should avoid exercising with temperatures above 30ºC and humidity above 80%. For outdoor sports, avoid especially the midday hours of the day and go preferably out early in the morning and late in the evening.
- Use sunscreen. Whether you’re at the beach or in the mountains as if you are in town, it is essential to protect us properly from the sun and reapply as often as needed, especially in sensitive areas.
- Hydrate a lot and continuously. It is always important to drink water when playing sports but in summer even more. In water sports we should also have a bottle of water nearby.
- Wear appropriate clothing: use fresch and loose clothing, made of natural materials such as cotton, and if possible light colors because they absorb less heat. Also, if the sport allows, we recommend using a cap and sunglasses.
- The best of Aqua Fitness
- Exercises to burn fat fast
- Eight reasons to try t’ai chi
- Health benefits of practising paddle