Gluten free recipe for celiacs
Healthy Recipes: cake of millet for celiacs
Celiac disease is a disease that affects our digestive system and is characterized by chronic inflammation of the small intestine caused by gliadin, a component of gluten present in many cereals we commonly eat (wheat, barley, rye, spelled, oat …) and that people with celiac disease should stop consuming not to suffer celiac symptoms such as pains and intestinal problems.
However, whole grains are an essential part of a healthy diet so it is important for celiacs to know very well what whole grains they can eat so we can use them in gluten-free recipes for celiac diet.
There are some grains like rice, millet, corn or quinoa that are gluten free so they can be perfectly used in celiac disease diet and also help us to improve the health of our intestines and can even improve long-term our gluten intolerance as adequate food gets rebalance our body.
One of the grain that is helping celiacs is millet, an ancient and very energetic cereal, easy to prepare and cook in dishes or desserts. In addition, the millet properties are very beneficial for our health: it has high content in carbohydrates that give us the energy that our body needs, has lots of fiber so it helps regulate our intestinal flora and causes the vegetal proteins to be better absorbed, has a very low fat content and also many doctors recommend millet to help control blood sugar and cholesterol.
There are many recipes for millet but today we share with you our recipe millet cake with pumpkin, dried apricots and orange flavor: a recipe gluten very healthy, nutritious and balanced.Ingredients of this recipe for celiac (approximately for 4 servings):
- 100 grams of whole grain millet
- 2 tablespoons of corn syrup
- 750 cl of apple juice
- 750g pumpkin
- 250g dried apricots
- a pinch of salt
- a tablespoon of grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons agar-agar seaweed (natural gelatin which acts as a thickener and provides the necessary consistency for the cake)
Preparation of gluten-free recipe for millet cake:
- Cook millet until it is brown
- Boil in the apple juice with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes, then reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes at low heat in a small pot covered.
- Once the millet is cooked, spread on a flat surface such as a baking sheet with a thickness of 3 cm or a specific mold according to the shape we want to give.
- Cook in very little water (only until the vegetables are covered) the pumpkin into cubes, dried apricots and agar-agar seaweed for 10 minutes over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Blend the mixture well and add orange zest to flavor. Extend on the basis of millet to create the cake and let it cool.
- You can decorate it with more grated orange or even with some nuts to taste.
Would you like to try it?